Overheard at hair salon this evening:
Stylist: So, you're going to Vegas...when? What for?
Patron: I turn 40 this week.
Stylist: (gasp!!) Oooooh, how are you doing?
Wow. Since I was sitting in the chair right next to the soon to be 40 year old; my twisted facial expression was revealed in the side by side mirrors. All I could think was...Seriously? On average, American women live into their 80's...Over the Hill cards are made for 30 year olds and beyond. Do we really slam the wall on youth barely into half our lives - spending the other half chasing it, glorifying it, trying to buy it back? Don't get me wrong - embrace youth - honor it and then evolve....more than half our lives spent being ashamed that we're essentially still here only older (duh?) is puzzling to me.
Speaking of honoring - today I think of you Big D. Someone who left us all too soon and someone who told me once...reaffirmingly "you know who you are". I'm so thankful you did when I wasn't sure I did at all. Love and miss you today and always.
Additionally - - that soon to be 40 year old might want to re-think her stylist. Just a thought.
Cheers!!
-A
No comments:
Post a Comment