Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Life of a Quitter

I've tried it before. I've had success for a few years at a time. I've picked it up again. I've got shitty lungs from something else entirely different - but remained undeterred in my vice. Packs would become stale....then packs would disappear...a day at a time. For the past 4 years...10-20 a day. "You smoke? Really? You don't seem like a smoker..." Yeah, nobody really says that anymore....as addiction takes hold - you treat the cravings with less discretion and pretty soon you are no longer a "closet smoker", or a "social smoker"...you're just a smoker.

It is expensive, it stinks and it is a fine way to pass the time when I've got stuff on the brain...hell, I really enjoy smoking. There. I wish I could do it "once in a while"....but that's bullshit. I don't have nicorette patches, I don't have gum, or a candy jar...and friends probably won't believe me when I say I'm through...but I'm going to give it another shot. Besides, it would be nice to have a couple of things to celebrate when Grandma and I ruin our shirts with mustard from those pastrami sandwiches....

Godspeed,
-a

1 comment:

scalder said...

Good luck and godspeed. What is godspeed anyway? Perhaps it's a drug that could take the place of nicotine?