I've yammered on about guilty pleasures....now let's talk about simple pleasures. In this case...the art of the perfect pastrami sandwich. Now I'm not talking about anything exotic when it comes to the sandwich...exactly. I'm talking about simply being able to have one.
In September 2006, at the age of 78 my Grandma Lee was diagnosed with throat cancer. My mom broke this news to me as I was on a road trip up the Oregon coast...sitting in the parking lot of the Best Western in Coos Bay about to check into my room. As soon as I got back to Redding I visited my Grandma in her hospital room - she looked bewildered at all the comings and goings of the nursing staff...and when we had a moment alone she said to me "you know what I really want?" A pause,...I thought perhaps to be a gazillion miles away from this room, a cup of coffee, a blanket? No. My grandmother said that what she really wanted was a "big pastrami sandwich with lots of mustard, and a coke" that's it. The glitch - she wouldn't be able to have one for a VERY long time - not with the chemo, not with the radiation, not with the feeding tube and general lack of love for food for several months to come. That is all behind her now. That pastrami sandwich is sounding pretty good once again and this week we're going to find the biggest, sloppiest, mustardiest pastrami sandwich...and we're going to share that coke.(pictures to follow) It's been a long road to this pastrami sandwich...but we got there.
Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!
-A
1 comment:
Did you wear those gold tennis shoes?
Post a Comment