Thursday, May 15, 2008

Who Do You Love?



http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/15/same.sex.marriage/index.html



So "California Supreme Court struck down the state's ban on same-sex marriage". A move that screams "duh!" to me. Let people marry who they want to marry. Simple, right? Hardly. Brace yourself for the outcry. "Same sex marriage debases the institution of marriage as defined by..." Are we not already frivolous in our "reverence" for the sanctity of marriage? Marriage is hard, it is joyful, it is difficult as hell at times...and a refuge at others. Not that I've ever been "legally" married...I suppose skeptics could say that I got to play house under the guise of the California Domestic Partnership law. I was able to dissolve that partnership on paper - - single handedly before it became expensive to do so. In 2004 you just had to have one party get the dissolution notarized and away you went. Since that time, I've witnessed friends go through a process that now requires more money, court filings and so on. And yet, no legal marriage. Today, the California Supreme Court has done a very civilized thing.

Cheers.

"it doesn't really matter to me/which side of the line/you happen to be/at any given time"
-suzanne vega (as girls go)

No comments: